Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pioneer Days and Cool

My brother Peter invented a character called Jerkamiah.  I don't know who is funnier the character or Peter doing the character.  One of the stories Jerkamiah tells is of the Pioneers and why they were called the Pioneers.  If I remember it right it's because they were always leaving and all Jerkamiah could see were the
"Pi-ron-reers".  If you ever get an opportunity to see Peter perform Jerkamiah, make sure he tells the ant/bear story.

Let me preface...This is what I remember.
When I was little, my Grandma Chapman lived in a big old house by Liberty Park in Salt Lake City.  There were great big trees that shaded the house.  One July 24th, we were all getting ready to go to the great big Salt Lake July 24th Parade.  It was cool and shady in the house.  I didn't feel well so Grandma got me some alka-seltzer.  This being my first experience, I watch the tablets bubble and when I drank it down, it was terrible, then I threw up and felt better.  I remember laying on Grandma's couch with the shade from the trees on me and being cool. 

I remember being with Mom's family at Liberty Park, playing baseball with Uncle Steven and having the big trees shade us. Food on the picnic tables with table cloths, lots of cousins.

Speaking of cousins we used to play in Grandma's attic.  There was an old Victrola record player, the kind you wind up with lots of records.  I always wondered why the records were so thick.  Rachael would always play with Mike.  I loved it up there.  There was a big window at the end, and the dappled sunlight lit the attic.

One time I was staying with Grandma and I along with my cousins decided to climb a chain link fence to play in the boat...which we weren't supposed to do.  I put my right had up on the top prong and sliced by palm open.  Aunt Gail took me into the bathroom and sat me on the tub with the water running to wash all the blood off.  I don't remember crying a lot although I'm sure I did.  But I do remember watching all the blood getting washed off.  It was cool.  12 stitches later and a lolly pop for being brave I was taken back to Grandma's.  About two weeks later Dad took out my stitches with an old timer knife, underneath the shade tree in the front yard of our Springville home.

In writing the post, un-be-know'nst- to me, a  common theme appeared; trees, shade and being cool.  What does it all mean?